Phelps Aide Phelps Helps is a non-profit organization offering educational and career support to youth from the Stanstead area. Phelps currently offers 6 distinct programs, aimed at reducing the drop-out rate, and help local youth discover and reach their future career goals. For more information about Phelps Helps, visit phelpshelps.ca
Phelps Helps’ summer position has two main components; part-time tutoring support until the end of the school year, followed by a full-time summer assistant position from mid June until August 20th.
Job type: 10 hrs/week, starting immediately to June 14, 2021, followed by 30 hrs/week, until August 20, 2021.
Reports to: Programs Director, Program Coordinators
Location: 272 rue Dufferin, Stanstead, Qc, J0B 3E2
Description: This position was created to provide tutor support to Phelps program participants at the elementary and high school levels. To provide career-related work experience for a local youth who is interested in working with children in their future careers. It will allow the development of teamwork, leadership, classroom management and curriculum development skills.
Your Qualifications and Attributes:
- High School diploma
- Experience and interest in working with children
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word (or equivalent)
- Proficiency in math and science at the Secondary Cycle 2 level
- Good time management and ability to work autonomously
- Understanding of the Stanstead area
- Attend Phelps’ weekly tutoring sessions as the lead tutor (from 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings). Support the program coordinators with:
- executing planned activities (tutoring, STEAM lesson, etc.)
- ensuring all COVID safety measures are followed and respected
- maintaining order and discipline during sessions
- assessing session progress and suggesting improvements
- providing support and guidance to volunteers
- setting up and cleaning up the space for the sessions
Summer Programs Tasks:
- Support Assisting the High School Program Coordinator with the Second Chance program
- Plan and prepare activities for 1-week STEAM summer camp for ages 8-12 (in August)
- Prepare the location for Summer Camp (Phelps and surrounding community locations)
- Participate in counsellor hiring and training for Summer camp
- Animate Summer Camp with support of the program coordinator
- Support administrative requirements for Summer Camp (promotion and registration)
- Support organizational daily tasks (office maintenance, clerical work)
- Participate in community outreach activities (family softball tournament, special events, etc.)
- Assisting the Phelps team prepare and promote September Launch
Please submit your application (CV and cover letter) to Debbie Bishop, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 28th, 2021.